Vaginal thrush is easily preventable. Let’s first understand what vaginal thrush actually means.
What is vaginal thrush?
Candida spp is a type of fungal yeast that causes vaginal thrush. Vaginal thrush is an infection caused due by Candida spp. Candida spp are found lying is small numbers around the vaginal area which are normally harmless. Our bodies contain harmless bacteria that fight Candida spp from growing. However, when things go nonfunctional, Candida spp take advantage of the favorable conditions to multiply and invade the vagina which causes vaginal thrush.
Candida spp become active in warm and moist conditions therefore, vagina being their commonest place of breeding.
What are the symptoms of vaginal thrush?
When you see a discharge in the form of white and thick and somewhat watery substance from the vagina, it can be an alarm for a potential vaginal thrush.
You also get itch and the skin becomes red with a feeling of discomfort and pain around the vagina.
The discharge does not have a smell. Some women also experience pain and discomfort while making love during urinating. All these are symptoms of vaginal thrush.
Symptoms are often minor and eventually get resolved on their own. However, it can be quite irritating sometimes and a treatment is a must in such a case.
Vaginal thrush does not cause damage to the vagina nor does it ruin the womb. During pregnancy thrush is not a potent harm for your baby.
Now further you can browse through tips to prevent vaginal thrush-
- Avoid tight, and synthetic clothing. Wear loose cotton knickers.
- Don’t use perfumed soaps, and gels. Also avoid bubble baths as well as vaginal deodorants
- During periods it is necessary to change tampons and sanitary towels to prevent infection
- After exercise, wash clean and dry intimate regions especially the area around vagina and groin. But do it gently
- Always wipe from front to back
- Have a well-balanced diet that is low on fats and sugar.
- Live a healthy lifestyle
- Indulge in regular activities and take enough rest
- Use lubricants during sexual intercourse
- Prevent re-infection by treating your partner with any good thrush cream
Other ways to prevent vaginal thrush
Use Anti fungal Creams –They can administered straight towards the vaginal exterior. It relieves you from any itching sensation
Pessaries –These tablets are place inside the vagina to prevent vaginal thrush
Oral Pills –As is evident from the name, oral tablets are consumed orally that prevents internal infection. This is strictly to be consumed on prescription.
Anti fungal creams and pessaries do the work of preventing vaginal thrush related bacteria to grow and kill them while present in the outer lips of the vagina.Women can insert pessaries that are bullet-shaped tablets into the vagina with the help of their fingers or using an applicator.
In the end, it is necessary to know the time you need to consult your doctor and prevent serious implication of vaginal thrush.
When is the time to see a doctor?
If you see any of the discussed symptoms above, it is time to seek solution where the thrush might be in the first stage to prevent it from entering the second and critical stage.
Here are few things to take notice of-
Women can self-diagnose and self-medicate taking advises from their pharmacy centers.
However, certain circumstances demand a woman to instantly head to the specialist like-
- When a woman suffers for the first-time the symptoms as listed above. In this case it is necessary the woman instantly gets herself diagnosed.
- When she is a girl less than 16 years of age or older than 60 years of age
- When the woman has suffered two episodes of thrush during last 6 months but has delayed attending a specialist for a year.
- When the woman has a historical background of any kind of sexually transmitted disease
- When the woman is pregnant
- When the woman suffers odorous vaginal discharge
- When the woman suffers abnormal or uneven vaginal bleeding and blood-stained discharge
- When the woman experiences pain in the lower abdomen and any adverse reactive tendencies to anti-fungal products
- When the woman suffers constant vaginal sores, and ulcers and blisters around the region.
Feature Image Source: huffingtonpost.com